I’m very excited to announce I’ll be presenting a two-hour writing workshop at the end of October, courtesy of the wonderful Lynette Aspey and The New England Writers’ Centre of New South Wales. Attendance will be via Zoom.
My goal in this workshop is to take you beyond the mundane, confusing, and often misunderstood “rules” of writing so that you can write the story you want to write in the way you want to tell it. Topics covered will include:
- Why I became a rebel author
- What’s important in a story and which so-called “rules” actually matter
- Show, don’t Tell — the most misleading rule of all
- Make me care
- Sex and fight scenes
- Rhythms in prose — knowing the good from the bad
- The self-censorship trap
- When the going gets tough
- Revision and editing
- The limitations of critique and writer’s groups
- Indie or trad pub?
The workshop will take place on October 30 at 10 AM New South Wales time, which in the U.S. corresponds to:
Friday October 29th at 7-9 PM EDT / 6-8 PM CDT / 5-7 PM MDT / 4-6 PM PDT
The cost to attend is AUS$45, or about US$33. Full details and online signup at https://www.newc.org.au/beyond-the-rules-of-writing.html
Hurry! This workshop will fill up fast!